2015 Arnold Sommerfeld School
The Arnold Sommerfeld Center for Theoretical Physics will host a PhD school on ''Topological phases of matter'' in the period August 31 - September 4, 2015. It accounts for the increasing importance of topological properties of matter for many modern developments in condensed matter physics. The aim of the school is to give an overview over the field of topological phases of matter, ranging from theoretical foundations and challenges to experimental realizations, including the Quantum Hall Effect, topological insulators, topological superconductors and realizations with ultracold atoms.
- Immanuel Bloch (LMU & MPQ Munich): Realizing and Probing topological Bloch band using Ultracold Atoms [Video]
- Nathan Goldman (Université libre de Bruxelles): Creating and Probing Topological Matter with Cold Atoms: From Shaken Lattices to Synthetic Dimensions [Videos]
- Greg Moore (Rutgers University): Quantum Symmetries And 10-Fold Ways [Videos]
- Joel Moore (Berkeley University): Topological insulators and Berry phases [Videos]
- Gil Refael (Caltech): Engineering topological phases: wire Majoranas to Floquet topological insulators [Videos]
- Ady Stern (Weizmann Institute): The quantum Hall effects [Videos]
Michael Haack, Uli Schollwöck, Jan von Delft and Immanuel Bloch
Please send a short email to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating your affiliation, full name and professional status (postdoc, PhD student, ...), before August 1. There is no fee but you will have to arrange your trip and accomodation yourself.
There will be a poster session during the school where you could present your own work if you would like to. In that case, please let us know using the same email address as above, i.e. email@example.com. We will have space for up to 25 posters and the slots will be distributed on a "first come, first serve" basis.
Arnold Sommerfeld Center for Theoretical Physics
Lecture hall: B052
Reachable by underground (take line U3 or U6 to stop Universität or line U2 to stop Theresienstraße) and by tram (take line 27 to stop Pinakotheken).
Some cheap hostels
We have compiled an (incomplete) list of low budget hostels and dorms in the center of Munich:
Hotels close to the ASC
An equally incomplete list of hotels close to the ASC: